Testing and Certification

When do you need to use an Electrician?

Testing and certification is essential for electrical safety. As a homeowner you are entitled to carry out electrical works in your own home, as long as the works comply with the Building Regulations for England and Wales. Part P is part of the Building Regulations for England and Wales which governs electrical safety. Some smaller jobs may not be required to be notified for Part P compliance. However, should the work you have done, fall under Part P of the Building Regulations, then you will need a certificate to show that the work was carried out in accordance with BS7671 wiring regulations. To register the work with Part P building control for compliance, you will be required to provide evidence that you are a ‘competent person’ and have carried the work out correctly. You will need to provide certification.

The advantages of using a Registered Electrician:

  • Peace of Mind, your electrician will deal with everything for you. You know that the work will be done properly and done to a high standard. Herts and Beds Electricians follow a rigorous testing and certification process to ensure that all work meets all the Building Regulations with all the correct documentation.
  • Safety. Electricity is extremely dangerous. It can kill. Electrical installation work should only ever be carried out by someone who has the knowledge, skill and experience needed to avoid any danger to themselves and others.
  • Costs, the cost of employing a registered electrician to do the job is far lower than employing one to rectify faulty wiring that has been caused by someone attempting to carry out the work themselves. Damaged light fittings, damaged cables and switches and even electrical accessories that have caught fire, can all add to the expense. Failure to carry out the correct testing and certification procedures can also make your property difficult to sell.
  • Building-control charges, you will not be responsible for paying any building-control charges.
  • Correctly certificated, Herts and Beds Electricians will make sure that any work we do follows the correct testing and certification process  and meets the appropriate Building Regulations.
  • Formal complaints procedure, should you be dissatisfied you have to access to a formal complaints procedure.
  • Insurance-backed guarantee, you have the option of taking out an insurance-backed guarantee when you have work done, so that you can make a claim if the work is later found not to meet Building Regulations.

What is Part P?

The regulations were introduced in 2005 to ensure that most fixed electrical installation work in homes must, by law, meet the Building Regulations. All electrical installation work in the home, garden, conservatory or outbuilding must meet the Building Regulations; this includes shared amenities in blocks of flats, and any building that shares its electricity supply with a dwelling. Part P is primarily designed to protect people from fire and electric shocks. Work covered by Part P needs to be notified and inspected by building control bodies; this is typically the local authority Building Control department who ensure it complies with the Building Regulations.

Part P and Re-wiring

The Part P regulations also cover changes made to any to existing installations, including any parts that have been rewired. In April 2013, Part P was updated to reduce the range of electrical installation work that had to be notified this included removing some of the requirements for kitchens and outdoors.

What electrical work is covered by the regulations?

All electrical work, with the exception of some types of minor work, must either be reported to the local-authority building-control, or be carried out by a registered electrician.

Who is responsible for making sure that electrical work meets the requirements of Part P?

All homeowners and landlords are legally responsible for making sure that any electrical work carried out on their property meet the requirements of Part P. Furthermore they must be able to prove that all electrical installation work meets Part P, or they will be committing a criminal offence. Homeowners and landlords can be forced to remove or alter any work that does not meet the Building Regulations.

What certification should my electrician provide?

When the work is finished you will receive:

  • Electrical Installation Certificate or Minor Work Certificate that confirms that the work meets BS 7671.
  • Building Regulations Compliance Certificate that confirms that the work meets the Building Regulations.

Inspection & Testing

All electrical installations deteriorate with usage and age. To ensure your home meets the current electrical standards, your electrics should be inspected and tested at regular intervals to check whether they are in a good enough condition to carry on using them. These safety checks are known as ‘periodic inspection and testing’. Once we have fully completed the inspection and testing, you will be issued with an electrical condition report to prove that your property us up to date and meets all standards. So let us make sure you can still legally make a brew and a slice of toast and get in touch to arrange inspection and testing on your home today!

Landlord Safety Checks

The law states: Landlords are required to ensure that the electrical installation in a rented property is safe when tenants move in and maintained in a safe condition throughout its duration. That a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) has a periodic inspection carried out on the property every five years. We conduct Landlord Safety Checks so please get in contact today to book yours in.

Commercial Work

Our mission is to run a service that can cater for all manner of projects – not just domestic projects, but challenging large-scale commercial ones too. We have a proven track record of delivering highly professional and successful projects for offices, shops, restaurants, bars and hotels; providing a fast and efficient service, with all maintenance and mandatory testing work carried out in meticulous detail.

New Builds

When your new home is being built, one of the most important parts of the process is to ensure your home is fully wired and fitted with all up to date electrical fittings. It may be that you are having your new kitchen fitted and need to move things around, or you need all your electrical appliances testing and fitting. We are happy to take on any project and can also offer any help and advice to the new homeowner to ensure everything is safe and sound.